From Ford Wiki
|Automotive industry||Ford of Britain|
|Car body style||4-door Sedan (car), estate car, pick-up.|
|Internal combustion engine||3.6 L V-8|
|Wheelbase||108.25 in (2750 mm)|
|Length||175 in (4445 mm)|
|Width||69.5 in (1765 mm)|
|Curb weight||3,200 pounds (1,450 kg)|
The Ford Pilot was a large Automobile from Ford introduced in August 1947. It was effectively replaced in 1951 with the launch of Ford UK's Zephyr Six and Consul models, though V8 Pilots were still offered for sale, being gradually withdrawn during that year. During the period of manufacture 22,155 cars were produced.
Engine and running gear
The Pilot was the first large post-war Ford. It was based on a pre-war 22 hp chassis, and was initially offered with the 2227 cc side-valve engine from the 1939 model. The engine was soon replaced: most Pilots were fitted with a more generously powered 3622 cc, 90 hp (67 kW) Sidevalve V8 engine, having a stroke of 92.25 mm and bore of 79 mm with single Solex Carburettor. It had 6-volt electrics. The gears were changed by means of a gear lever on the steering column; the gearbox itself had three forward ratios and one reverse. The car was evidently seen as rather old-fashioned even at the time, but its front brakes were hydraulically-controlled. The rear brakes were rod-operated.
Most Pilots were four-door Sedan (car), but Station wagon and Pick-up truck versions were produced, the latter for the export market only. The front windscreen could be opened for ventilation pivoting about a top hinge. Production ended in 1951 when the Pilot was replaced by the Ford Zephyr.
Like other Fords of the era, the Pilot used vacuum-driven wipers taking their power from the engine manifold; as a result they tended to slow drastically or even stop when full throttle was used under load. The car was reputed to be capable of 80 mph (130 km/h) and have a 0 to 60 mph (96 km/h) time of 21 seconds and return Convert/foutmig (Convert/L/100 km mpgus).
Importation and local semi-assembly of the Pilot (along with the 1949 US Ford V8) by the Ford Motor Company in Australia in 1949 was essential in countering the retail sales of the new government-financed General Motors-Holden's 'Holden' which began in February of that year. In fact the Pilot was sold new in Australia until well into the 1950s.
Such importation (along with that of the Ford Prefect and Anglia) was essential in maintaining a presence in that country after a refusal by the then-Federal Government to provide any direct financial assistance to produce a local car (this despite Ford providing a more detailed and comprehensive proposal than GMH, and despite the fact that many millions of pounds had been invested by Ford US in Australian vehicle assembly plants since 1925).
The Pilot achieved some sporting success and Ken Wharton drove one to victory in the 1950 Tulip Rally and Lisbon Rally.
- ↑ Culshaw; Horrobin (1974). Complete Catalogue of British Cars. London: Macmillan. ISBN 0-333-16689-2.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Gloor, Roger (1. Auflage 2007). Alle Autos der 50er Jahre 1945 - 1960. Stuttgart: Motorbuch Verlag. ISBN 978-3-613-02808-1.
- ↑ Easdown, Geoff (1987). A History of the Ford Motor Company in Australia. Sydney: Golden Press. ISBN 073-020112-0.