Open main menu

Ford Sidevalve engine

The Ford Sidevalve is a side valve (flathead engine) from the British arm of the Ford Motor Company. The engine has its origins in the 1930s Ford Model Y, and were made in two sizes. The early engines were very basic and did not have a waterpump as standard relying on thermo-siphon effect to cool. A water pump was added in 1953 for the 100E models. The Sidevalve engine was used in many smaller Fords as well as farm vehicles, commercial vehicles and a marine version in boats. Production of the engine was stopped in 1962. The ignition system on many cars powered by this engine was powered by a dynamo. Windscreen wipers were often driven by the vacuum generated in the inlet manifold.

The Sidevalve Engine was also used in German Fords, starting with the Ford Köln in 1932 and ending with the last rear wheel drive Ford Taunus 12M in 1962.

It was then replaced by the Kent engine in Britain and by the Taunus V4 engine in Germany.

Use

The Sidevalve engine was used in

  • Buckler for their lightweight sports kitcars for road use and rallies, trials, hillclimbs or racing.
  • Falcon

External links