|Parent company||Ford Motor Company|
|Assembly||Mahwah, New Jersey|
|Body style(s)||4-door sedan|
|Engine(s)||200 cid I6|
250 cid I6
302 cid V8
351 cid Windsor V8
The Mercury Monarch was released in 1975 alongside the Ford Granada, which was mechanically similar. Monarch justified a price hop over the Granada by offering an improved interior and a different exterior. The base engine was Ford's 200 cid inline six cylinder engine, with a 250 cid inline six optional. V8 power came from two engines: the 302 cid and 351 cid Windsor. In the late 1970s, as a gas shortage scare hit the United States, a redesigned smaller version of the Ford Granada was put forward and the Monarch nameplate would be dropped, replaced by the popular Cougar.
A total of 575,567 were produced.
Mercury Grand Monarch Ghia
The Mercury Grand Monarch Ghia was an upscale version of the Monarch built in 1975 and 1976. Grand Monarch Ghia had four-wheel disc brakes with a sophisticated central hydraulic power system as standard equipment.
Other standard luxury features include:
- Leather trim
- Vinyl roof
- Liquid crystal display clock
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Power steering
- Dual map lights
- Illuminated visor vanity mirror (passenger side)
- 14 inch, cast-aluminum spoke wheels
- Solid-state ignition
- Whitewall steel-belted radial tires
- Reclining bucket seats with matching map pockets
- Plusher carpeting and soundproofing
According to the May 1976 edition of Car and Driver, Henry Ford II and three out of five of Ford’s top executives used the Mercury Grand Monarch Ghia as their personal car.
In the spring of 1977, Lincoln introduced the Versailles, based on the Granada/Monarch platform. The Versailles had many of the same luxury features as the Mercury Grand Monarch Ghia but it was not successful. Lincoln's identity suffered when they began selling a Granada-clone rather than a product that significantly differentiated itself from other Ford products.
- ↑ "Production & Registry Totals". The Granada-Monarch-Versailles Registry. http://www.gmv-registry.com/21869.html. Retrieved on 2008-05-20.
- Mercury Monarch
- Monarch Source - History and Information resource for the Ford Monarch from 1946 - 1953
- American Granada, Monarch & Versailles Registry & Forums
Mercury road vehicle timeline, 1950–1989 — next »
|Park Lane||Park Lane||Marquis||Marquis||Marquis||Grand Marquis|
|C. Park||Colony Park||Colony Park||Colony Park||Colony Park||Colony Park|
- REDIRECT Template:Mercury vehicles
- Pages using duplicate arguments in template calls
- Mercury vehicles
- Goods manufactured in the United States