Opened in 1951, Cleveland Engine Plant number 1 was the site of production for Ford's first overhead valve engine, the Lincoln V8. It was later the site of production for the Ford 335 engine, commonly called the "Cleveland". It also produced many of the "5.0" V8 engines used through the 1980s and 1990s, with the last produced in 2000. The demise of the 5.0 was to also be the end for CEP1, but Ford instead invested $350 million to refurbish it to handle production of the Duratec 30 for the Ford Freestyle, Ford Five Hundred, and Mercury Montego.
Cleveland Engine Plant number 2 opened in 1955 to produce the Y-block 292 V8 for the Ford Thunderbird. More recently, it has been the site for Duratec 25 and 30 production. Today, it produces the VVT version of that engine used in the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, and Lincoln Zephyr.
Cleveland will reportedly be the site for production of the new Boss V8 beginning in 2008.
- Cleveland Engine is at coordinates Coordinates: