Ford Racing (video game)
|File:Ford Racing Coverart.png|
Ford Racing is a racing game for the Sony PlayStation, and the PC. The game has 12 Ford cars from both the US and European lines and 10 tracks on which the 12 cars can race. The game features a career mode with several different types of races and the ability to upgrade the cars with various upgrades.
During the championship season, you may upgrade your car with certain parts. During the first few seasons quite a few of these upgrades are not available to apply to the car. As you win more championships, more of these upgrades become available.
- Soft Tires: These tires are softer than the normal tires. As such they grip the road better, but must be replaced after every race.
- Qualifying Tires: These tires are even softer than the Soft Tires, but can only be used during qualifying and must be replaced after every race.
- Aero Upgrade: This upgrade allows you to adjust the front and rear downforce of your car, producing different handling aspects. With the GT-90, the acceleration is so high that the downforce can be set to its highest levels without substantially affecting speed on the track.
- Suspension Upgrade: This allows you to adjust certain parameters of your suspension.
- Transmission Upgrade: This allows you to adjust your gear ratios. on cars with high redlines and high top speeds, such as the mustang and GT-90, the gear ratios can be set to the fastest acceleration ratios without affecting top speed substantially.
- Braking Upgrade: This allows you to adjust the balance between front and rear braking force.
- Tuned Engine: This engine has more horse power than the stock engine.
- Racing Engine: This engine has even more power than the Tuned Engine. The Tuned Engine must be purchased first.
- Qualifying Engine: This engine has even more power than the Racing Engine, but can only be used during qualifying and must be rebuilt after every race. The Racing Engine must be purchased first.
- Weight Reduction Stage 1: Reduces the weight of the car.
- Weight Reduction Stage 2: Further reduces the weight. Stage 1 must be purchased first.
For each championship the player wins after the Escort Season, the player wins a "Black" car for each subsequent championship. The Black cars are special cars tuned to handle better, weigh less, and have more horse power.
The game suffered from bad graphics and some glitches similar to Gran Turismo. On the Ka and the Puma, the tires width is about that of a bicycle tire, which is far too small to be realistic, or even possible, on a car. The crashes in this game are also far from spectacular, with the cars just bouncing off each other. There is also no damage to the cars in this game.