Ford SVT Contour
|Manufacturer||Ford Motor Company|
|Body style(s)||4-door sedan|
The SVT Contour was a modified version of the Ford Contour sedan from Ford's in-house Special Vehicle Team. The SVT Contour was produced from 1998MY through 2000MY, with a mid-year revision for 1998.5.
|1998||2.5 L Duratec 25 SVT V6||195 hp (145 kW)||165 ft·lbf (224 N·m)||4,485|
|1999||200 hp (149 kW)||169 ft·lbf (229 N·m)||2,760|
|Year||Exterior Color||Blue Interior||Tan Interior||Total||First Saleable||Job 1||Job Last|
Body and Interior
There were many SVT-specific parts that separated it from the normal Contour models.
- SVT-specific front bumper(for enhanced cooling),rocker sill extensions,rear bumper
- SVT mesh front and lower grills
- SVT emblem on rear left trunk
- SVT-marked floor mats
- Leather shift and emergency brake boot
- White face gauge cluster
- Leather sport seats front and back (Midnight Blue or Tan)
The SVT Contour has many high-performance improvements to produce more power and withstand harder driving than the normal Contour models.
These changes include:
- Changes to the camshaft include a longer duration and a complete change in valve timing points.
- Higher compression: 10:to1(SVT) vs 9.7(normal)
- Powertrain Control Module (PCM) was more aggressively tuned and required premium fuel.
- Larger throttle body (60 mm vs 54 mm). Lifted from the 3.0L Duratec.
- Intake manifold and primary intake ports smoothed by ExtudeHone.
- A water to oil, oil cooler to keep control of oil temperatures during performance driving.
- A radiator with a thicker core for better cooling(lifted from Saudi models).
- Different air filter and intake (cone style using same air filter as V6 Mustang).
- A lighter flywheel(from 21lbs to 19lbs.)
- A larger-diameter, quasi-dual exhaust.
These changes allowed the SVT Duratec to make 200hp at 6600rpm and 169lb-ft at 5500rpm. The rev-limiter was also raised to 6750rpm from 6500rpm.
Suspension and Brakes
Cars built on or before January 27, 1998 had the first 5-spoke wheel style with Goodyear GSC tires. Beginning on February 14, Ford switched to the Cobra style 16-in. wheel and Eagle F1 tires. Beginning with 1999MY, September 1, 1998, Ford then kept the same Cobra style wheel and switched to the BF Goodrich KDW tires. The SVT Contour had four wheel disc brakes instead of the standard disc/drum configuration. The independent rear disc brake suspension is also used in the 1999-2002 Mercury Cougar.
- Front rotors were enlarged to 278mm vs the 260mm stockers.
- Stiffer shock tuning.
- Smaller front swaybar (down to 19mm).
- 16-in. five spoke wheels (1998MY)
- 16-in. SVT Cobra-style wheels (1998.5 to 2000MY)
- Goodyear Eagle GS-C tires, size 205/55ZR16 (1998MY)
- Goodyear Eagle F1-GS tires, size 205/55ZR16 (1998.5MY)
- BFGoodrich g-Force KDW tires, size 215/50ZR16 (1999 to 2000MY).
- Lightweight axles
- SVTEnthusiast.com Online SVT Owners Community
- "Official site". Ford SVT. http://www.svt.ford.com/. Retrieved on march 8.